Sometimes life can get the better of us, and we may have good intentions when it comes to how people perceive us, but we may slip up with the basics.
So you have been in business for a while, and you know looking professional is a must, but what happens when people look you up online. You cannot give that, a professional smile and show that nice clean suit, to make that first impression. Have you thought about what you look like online?
It can be challenging to keep your online presence looking 100%, because of this, I would recommend putting aside at least once a year, a bit of time, to do a tidy up. Try looking inwards at yourself and think what people are going to see first when it comes to you online and amend anything you may feel can be improved.
Here are a few starting points to get you going:
1) Go to Google and put your Name, Business Name and even Address into the search bar and see what comes up. You may have missed that someone has put a nasty review up, which could be the reason why clients are not getting back to you. It’s worth having a look and ‘think out of the box’ a bit.
2) Social Media – could you maybe improve your copy-editing skills by using some of the great add-ons, such as Grammarly. Maybe make a decision that you will not write anything that looks like spam and bring up the level of the information.
3) Linked In and CV – It’s one of those things we fill out once, and only edit when we’re job hunting. But people see you on there more often than you think, so make sure it’s up-to-date, and it’s free of typos
3) Website – you may not have a website. If you have one, it can make you stand out from the crowd and doesn’t have to cost the earth. Just having your email (rather than Yahoo) and a one-page website, shows people you mean business and not just a fly on the wall.
4) Clients and contacts – go through your contact book and decide to contact all your clients and have a catch even it’s just for coffee. First impressions and on-going impressions count.
I hope that helps.